We asked our mamas who recently had babies what they packed in their bags and what to leave at home!
What to pack:
- Phone charger (extra long cord!)
- Button down pajamas/robe/compression socks
- Non slip socks/slippers and shower shoes
Other noteworthy items!
- Portable fan
- Peppermint Essential Oil
- Hydrating Face masks
- Personal body wash
- Speaker for music
- Gatorade energy gummies
- Nursing bra
- Face towelettes
- Abdominal binder (post c-section)
- Loose fitting clothes
- Important documents
What to leave at home:
Number 1 Response!
- Extra clothes for mom (only needed 1 set of pajamas/robe/going home outfit)
Other noteworthy Items!
- Extras for baby (hospital has diapers and postpartum products
- Extra socks
We also asked our new mamas advice they have for other soon to be new mamas, this is what they said!
- Get some sunshine everyday and start walking when you're ready, it's normal to be emotional the first few weeks.
- Try putting baby on a schedule early on.
- It is the hardest thing you will do and there is a group of women out there waiting to meet you as a mama. Take advantage of every moment to just enjoy the process it will be gone faster then you will ever remember. The nights can be long. Make sure you have something nice to watch on your phone. Provide your brain with positive thoughts and moments and know the dark days will be over.
- Do whatever it takes to get the help you need physically, mentally, and emotionally. Nobody else lives in your head, so they won't necessarily know what you're feeling. You are your own best advocate.
- Take time for yourself. You cannot fill others from an empty cup!
- Ask all the questions! Your OB is there to support you--so make use of them. I also loved having a doula for extra emotional support for me and my partner. I recommend it!
- Bring a empty diaper bag, they will give you a bunch of stuff take everything!
- With covid it's hard to have the same after baby support so reach out if you need it.
- Buy adult diapers for when water breaks or post delivery night underwear.
- Let go of any expectations you have and just live in the moment. You cannot prepare for any of the emotions you will have so go in with an open mind and roll with the punches.
- Give yourself grace, babies are exhausting!
- Everything will work out in the end!
Thank you to all the mamas who participated in our survey! You have helped another mama plan her hospital stay!